Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Which Austen Heroine are you?

Being at loose ends this morning before my day got started, I took a quiz about which Jane Austen heroine I am.  Frankly, I was surprised to find out I was Elinor Dashwood from Sense and Sensibility.  Granted, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Elinor.  She's solid, practical and loving (and gets to marry Hugh Grant's character at the end of the movie), but I always thought of myself more of an Elizabeth Bennet kind of girl.  You know, witty, observant and able to laugh at oneself. 

The quiz described me as "practical, circumspect, and discreet. Though you are tremendously sensible and allow your head to rule, you have a deep, emotional side that few people often see."  Makes me sound like someone's trusty matron aunt, no?  So, curiosity got the better of me and I checked to see what the quiz said about Elizabeth Bennet.  Apparently she's described as "intelligent, witty, and tremendously attractive."  Now I feel incredibly miffed!  But it could be worse, I could be Elinor's sister, Marianne, who's described as "impulsive, romantic, impatient, and perhaps a bit too brutally honest".


The quiz results made me think though, did I always assume that I was like Elizabeth Bennet, because she is my favorite Austen heroine?  Or is the quiz faulty?  So, I took the quiz again (no offense Elinor!), because on some of the questions, more than one of the choices fit me, and this time I'll pick the alternate choice.  And now for the results...drum roll please...I'm Elinor Dashwood again!  Cripes! 

Interestingly enough, Sense and Sensibility is my favorite Austen novel by far. Maybe that has something to do with the fact that I keep turning out to be Elinor in that blasted quiz ;-)  The only thing I do know is I encourage other Austen fans to take the quiz and let me know if they are satisfied - unsatisfied - indifferent - surprised by the results of the quiz.

No comments:

Post a Comment